Progress is being made on my Metro Scope blocks.
I decided to make the first few one at a time to see if I couldn't get some consistency. I think I've worked out the kinks and can proceed to chain piecing component parts for the remainder of the blocks.
A friend suggested not using the Horizon fabric by Kate Spain because I needed more contrast. Since I've started packing up some of my fabric, and since I had already ironed about half of the fat quarters, I thought I would go ahead and use it. When I learn a new technique I always call the first quilt made my "learning quilt." I think she was right about the contrast issue, but to quote my wonderful Dad, "We're not building a piano here"!!
I'm using only two colors in each block. The outer rings will be dark blue, turquoise and green. I'll use the purple only as the second accent color. When I put these up on the wall, I thought they looked real summery with sort of a tropical feel.
I've made some adjustments along the way while making these. Sewing the curves is easy. The squaring is the most tricky part. I need to get an 8" square ruler for consistency in squaring up those center blocks. I found I needed to use a stiletto -- in my case, the seam ripper -- to hold the bottom end of the curve together as it goes under the needle. I also found that setting the seams with the iron before pressing the curve helps to make it smooth. You can tell the parts where I set the seams and those that I didn't. The puckers came during the ironing process, not while sewing. I'll repress those seams before I assemble the quilt. And, finally, spray starching the fabric before cutting was a gigantic help.
Don't know if I'll get much done this week on them except for cutting the rest of the colored fabric, but I'm real pleased with these three blocks. Making that test block first was a good decision.