Saturday, July 19, 2014

Cotton + Steel

Cotton + Steel has landed at the LA Quilter joint.  I'm anxious to break apart these packages to see what all the fuss is about!


All of the pictures posted of projects really peaked my interest, especially the one that Carrie of Miss Rosie's did.  I've always wanted to do a kaleidoscope quilt and I think this will be the one.  Think there's enough fabric here?

Thursday was my last day at my company.  I am still working one day a week for my late boss' wife until I leave town.  But I will have a lot of time to pack, get some sewing in, and generally relax after 43 plus years of working at two really stressful jobs.  One habit I need to break is automatically waking up at 5:00 a.m.!

Another thing I must do soon is move all the tubs of fabric from the offsite storage to my garage.  That will take many trips in my QuiltMobile, or one or two trips in a pickup truck.  Why-oh-why have I collected that much fabric?  I always joked that I was buying for my "retirement," that nebulous thing off on the horizon.  Reality has slapped me in the face and the time is now.

So what do I do?  Buy more fabric!

Seriously, I was considering getting rid of a bunch of it, but I decided to move it all with me to Louisiana.  I know myself well enough to know that I would be searching for the one piece that I no longer had and would be scouring the internet to find it.  Once I get there and fill up the stash closet, then I will make a decision on whether to get rid of the rest of it. 

On a nostalgic note, I wandered back in the plant earlier this week to watch them forge one more time.  It's such a fascinating process.  As I told a friend, I can't believe I got teary-eyed over titanium and steel -- or in quilting parlance, Titanium + Steel! 

I had to cancel lunch with a friend today.  My garage door decided to quit working, and the repairman is coming this morning to hopefully fix it.  I can manually open it, but it's hard for me to do that with a bum back.  Certainly don't want to undo any of the good works by the surgeons.  Yesterday morning I had to unlock it, open the door, pull my car out, go back in the garage to close and lock it, go through the house, out the front door and around to my car.  (sigh)  Penny was confused by it all.  Heck, I was confused by it all.

I am going to clear out my sewing room of some boxes of fabric, and then sit down and work on the Metro Scope quilt.  I love making those blocks, and have decided not to be discouraged by the miscut of one piece of fabric.  I'll just substitute another blue and forge on!  ("We're not building a piano here!")  I took nine or ten quilts to the quilter last weekend, and I'd like to get a few more to her before the move.  It's easier to move finished quilts than bits and parts, so UFOs, watch out; here I come!! 

18 comments:

JudyT said...

Good decision to take all your fabric with you! You are going to have so much fun in your retirement. Looking forward to seeing all the pretty quilts in your future!

dortha said...

Congratulations on your retirement. I would be like you searching for a piece of fabric that I had got rid of.

AnnieO said...

Ah, retired--a title I'd like to have! Congrats on your long years of service to the company--and for no more early mornings for work. Fabric is life!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your retirement. The best is yet to be!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Vicky,
It will take some time to get off the clock and settle into your retired lifestyle. You will come to enjoy not being so scheduled.
You have only completed your professional career...congrats on achieving retirement.
Pam

Darlene said...

WooHoo - congratulations on your retirement, Vicky.

I know it's bittersweet but it's a new chapter waiting to be written.

I'm glad you've decided to move all the fabric tubs. :-)

antique quilter said...

looks like a fun package to open up to celebrate your retirement! I am so happy for you. YOur going to be so happy living back home . Good luck with the packing and glad to hear you will be sewing during the process too!
good decision move that fabric….
Kathie

Cathy said...

Congratulations on your retirement. I'd push back your wake-up time to at least 6:00, lol! Can Penny wait for her morning walk?

Oh, man, you must have some real treasure in fabrics in your storage area!

Susan said...

Congratulations on your retirement! I can't wait to see all of the quilts you'll start churning out with this extra time!

Kyle said...

You've got so much to look forward to, a new home, lots of fabric and now time to enjoy it all.

Anonymous said...

I REALLY ENJOY YOUR BLOG. i've been reading it about a year and can identify with your struggles and dreams. I just went to part time after almost 50 years working and love my time quilting.I am so happy for you and your move home. What a lovely retirment spot. Mary in Glendale, Az.

Jo said...

Congratulations Vicky and Penny too. She will love having you home and that home will be in the first LA! It's been a long time coming. Bear hugs, Jo

Dottie@Warm Memories Quilt Shoppe said...

Congratulations, Vicky!!! I'm so very happy for you. I hope your future is full of fun, relaxation, and lots of stitching!!!

Laura said...

Congratulations on your retirement. :-)

Tricia said...

I am so excited for you! I have been reading about your retirement plans for years and can't wait to see the quilts you create! I definitely agree that you should move all of the fabric; you have been buying it for just this time and now you will have the energy and space and time to spread it out and enjoy it.
Take care to keep in good health!

Deb said...

Congrats on your retirement! I wish I could retire with you, but I've got a few years yet before I'll be able to join you. That darn full time job just gets in the way of my quilting time. I received my Cotton + Steel order on Friday, but haven't opened any of it yet either, need to decide what I want to make with it. Take it easy and enjoy the move!

Sarah said...

Congratulations on your last day! What sort of work do you do? Sounds like you were in engineering and manufacturing. I would be searching for that piece of fabric I'd thrown out too. Do you have to sell your apartment in LA before you go?

Sherrill said...

Yep, Vicky, I've been where you are..always bought fab saying it was for retirement. Then when DH passed and I had to downsize, I was REALLY mad at myself for buying so much as I then had to move it. Haven't sewn much at all in the last couple of years and keep thinking I'll cut a lot of it into pillowcases. That hasn't happened yet either!! Good luck with getting ready to go!