Sunday, March 30, 2014

Diving into UFOs

I completed the blocks from the last post, and I'll save them for later to sew together.  I can only do so much bending in a day to get them off the "design floor."

I pulled out the 2008 Designer Mystery BOM from the Fat Quarter Shop.  The blocks have been completed since 2009 and have been hanging around in one of those very large Ziploc bags that has totally been in my way for the longest time.  A couple of days ago I moved that bag - again - and thought, "What in the world is in this thing?"  Turns out it was the mystery blocks and the finishing kit.  I'm cutting up the finishing kit now to get it done!


That red, which is a gorgeous red with green polka dots, is probably one of my most favorite fabrics ever.  I'm thinking about switching the red and green -- put the green in the sashings and the red for the outer border.  This is the Peace on Earth line by 3 Sisters for Moda. 

If you have any thoughts on this, I'd appreciate it.  The same yardage was included for both pieces, so that won't be a problem.  Because the blocks are so busy, I was thinking the green might tone them down a bit, and the outer border wouldn't feel lost.

Your opinions, please!!

We've had two sizable earthquakes here this weekend.  The 5.1 Friday night face planted me on the floor.  I had just swung my legs over the side of the bed and had all of my weight on the one foot that was on the floor when it struck.  Because I was off balance, I went tumbling.  I decided just to stay there until the rolling stopped.  It was hard slam following by 10-15 seconds of significant rolling.  Needless to say, I was up for most of the night waiting for the big one! I'm such a weenie with earthquakes.  Penny stayed right next to me all night, practically tripping me up as I moved about.  She was real whiny.  Yep, she's a weenie, too.

With hardly any sleep on Friday night, I decided Saturday night to go to bed earlier. I was laying there reading and all of a sudden Penny started barking.  About three seconds later, "wham," another one.  This one was a hard jolt and then hard shaking as opposed to the rolling motion. It was only a 4.1 but felt as strong as the one Friday night. 

I don't know.  Those occasional hurricanes in Louisiana are starting to look a lot better.  At least you have days of warning before they land.  Earthquakes come out of the blue!  You'd think after 20 years I'd  be use to them!  You'd think!

13 comments:

Nini said...

I think I'd rather live in the land of earthquakes instead of hurricanes or tornadoes. I think they cause more damage, and after 32 years of living in earthquake land, I've never seen as much damage done by them as in tornado/hurricane land. On another note, I like the idea of green in the quilt. Sounds soothing to me.

Mary said...

I don't think you're a weenie at all. The very thought of an earthquake is scary, and I don't know how anyone would ever get used to them.

quiltzyx said...

I'm a third generation Southern Californian - my Dad taught me that when there's an earthquake, just enjoy the ride! Sorry you were thrown to the floor - ouch.

Good job on your UFOs. We're doing a UFO challenge at my guild this year. We're supposed to finish one every 2 months, so we'll have 6 finished for the year & out of our UFO stack. :)

Carol said...

WOW! Yesterday was a wild day for you all...I was a week early, missed all the excitement. I think the green around the blocks and the red border is a great idea...that will really frame the quilt nicely.

Cathy said...

First, I prefer the red for the outer border and the green for the sashing, for the same reason you mentioned. I think the red could be a little strong between all the different blocks.

Second, I've experienced one earthquate in CA, while visiting my aunt in Santa Barbara. Then another one we had here on the east coast a few summers ago - a real surprise but no damage in either case.

Sharon said...

I'll take the rain in the NW although we've had a horrible disaster due to it....Glad you didn't get hurt when you got knocked over. haha on unpinning your blocks, been there, done that!!!

mascanlon said...

Has been wild weekend. So sorry you face planted! We have out of town company so for a few folks it was their first earthquake.
I am a bit more hesitant on switching fabrics only because the green might totally blend to much with the gold stars in the sashing?
I am so not ready for our vacation but I figure with passports, euros and tickets anything I forget we can purchase!

Yvette said...

It really was a rock n rolling weekend. I sure hope the earth is done shaking.

I like the idea of the red border but I am not sure how the green and yellow would look together.

suz said...

I live in New England and would rather deal with Nor'easters than earthquakes. That being said, we did have one the year my son was born. I lived in central NH and we thought something was happening to the heater - we heard loud rumblings and the house shook. Come to find out, we had a 3.something and were just feet from the epicenter! I'll settle for the storms! Glad you were okay.
Love the idea of the green in this quilt.

Miss Jean said...

Thanks for reminding me about that block of the month. My top is finished and I just need to get it quilted. I did it exactly like they said and I love it. Don't miss earthquakes but we have had the tornado sirens go off here!

Diane said...

I vote green sashing and red border.
I also vote Gulf Coast living. I have always lived near the Gulf Coast in one state or another. Tornadoes scare me, but with all the technology in the past years you get much better warning. Hurricanes don't scare me for some reason.
My son lives in Sacramento and I am always afraid of earthquakes. Maybe my fears and no fears come from the devil you know and the devil you don't know. Ignorance in snot always bliss.

Diane said...

Sorry I meant to type..
Ignorance is not always bliss.

karen @ badlandsquilts said...

Love Peace on Earth, one of my most favorite fabric lines ever. Hope you are settle and secure after the earthquakes?!